PRELIMINARY STUDY IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A METHOD FOR EVALUATING THE RELATIVE POLISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF BITUMINOUS PAVING MIXTURES
Six major aggregate types were examined and tested according to the accelerated method described herein. These included a synthetic lightweight aggregate, a synthetic burned clay, a sandstone, a crushed limestone, a siliceous river gravel, and limestone rock asphalt. Results showed that, in general, the rate of polishing matched the polishing characteristics exhibited by each material in previous tests using the standard test method. A problem encountered was failure by disruption and raveling of individual test specimens.
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspMaterials and Tests Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
- Patty, T S
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Aggregates; Artificial aggregates; Failure; Gravel; Lightweight aggregates; Limestone aggregates; Polishing (Aggregates); Sandstones; Specimens
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00128949
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 10 2000 12:00AM