URBAN GOODS MOVEMENT DEMONSTRATION PROJECT DESIGN. A PRIMER ON URBAN GOODS MOVEMENT
The study examines problems encountered in urban goods movement. The report is divided into 7 sections. Section I presents a discussion of urban goods related transportation as compared to the nation's total transportation. Section II provides estimates, of the characteristics and amounts of transportation currently used to move goods in our major cities. Section III presents estimates of the impact of this transportation on cities in terms of cost, congestion, energy consumption, air pollution, noise pollution and land use. Section IV focuses on each of these impacts as viewed by several identifiable interest groups in the community: commuters, consumers, goods haulers, shippers/receivers, etc. Section V presents an attempt to isolate fundamental causes of urban goods movement related problems and Section VI discusses nearly 100 possible solutions to them. Section VII presents several recommendations for further action.
- Prepared in cooperation with Voorhees (Alan M.) and Associates, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Paper copy also available in set of 5 reports as PB-249 318-SET, PC$34.00.
Kearney (AT) and Company, Incorporated100 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL United States 60606
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Voorhees (Alan M) and Associates, IncorporatedCambridge, MA United States
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 264 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Common carriers; Consumer protection; Cost estimating; Costs; Demonstration projects; Energy conservation; Estimates; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Highway traffic; Intermodal terminals; Land use; Noise; Noise control; Problem solving; Recommendations; Statistical analysis; Traffic congestion; Trucks; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Terminal facilities; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Economics; Energy; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Research; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00094142
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Phases 1&2 Final Rpt., UMTA-IL-06-0030-75-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-40007
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 2003 12:00AM