AN ASSESSMENT OF THE CRASHWORTHINESS OF EXISTING URBAN RAIL VEHICLES. VOLUME I: ANALYSES AND ASSESSMENTS OF VEHICLES, CHAPTERS 1 THROUGH 7
The crashworthiness of existing urban rail vehicles (passenger cars) and the feasibility of improvements in this area were investigated. Both rail-car structural configurations and impact absorption devices were studied. Recommendations for engineering standards for urban rail vehicles were developed. The report covers: (1) The development of analytical tools to predict passenger threat - environment during collision; (2) criteria for predicting passenger injury due to train collisions; (3) an application of injury criteria and analytic models to predict passenger injuries resulting from collisions of trains that represent existing construction types; (4) a preliminary investigation of applying impact absorption devices to transit vehicles; (5) a design study of car structural configurations for improved impact energy management; (6) a review of engineering standards for Urban Rail Car Crashworthiness.
- Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-249 141-SET, PC$13.00.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cassidy, R J
- ROMEO, D J
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 199 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Design; Forecasting; Injuries; Mathematical models; Passenger cars; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Research; Risk analysis; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Standards; Structural design; Structural engineering; Transportation safety; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00094136
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTAMA06-0025-7516V1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-681
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM