LINCOLN EXPERIMENTAL TRANSPORTATION DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
The project involves the provision of a specialized transportation service, known as the HANDIBUS, for handicapped and elderly citizens who encounter barriers to existing mass transportation services. The service includes door-to-door transportation at the same fare as the regular city bus service. Special tickets are purchased by qualified applicants. The specialized service is operated by Lincoln Transportation Service, a city-owned mass transportation system which operates the regular city bus lines. This evaluation specifically addresses five primary objectives of the HANDIBUS service: (1) To achieve a high level of penetration of the target population; (2) to eliminate, to the degree possible, existing barriers to mass transportation among the target population; (3) to substantially increase mobility among the target group; (4) to increase community social and economic integration with the target population; and (5) to provide efficient equipment and operating methods for providing the intended service.
- Prepared by Applied Planning and Management and Associates, Lincoln, Nebr.
Lincoln-Lancaster Commission on AgingLincoln, NE United States 68510
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Applied Planning and Management and Associates1331 South Thirty-third Street
Lincoln, NE United States 68510
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus lines; Demand responsive transportation; Demonstration projects; Door to door service; Fares; Level of service; Mobility; Operating costs; Persons with disabilities; Project management; Promotion; Public transit; Social values; Urban transportation; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Geographic Terms: Nebraska
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values; Promoting
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research; Society;
- Accession Number: 00094123
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-NE-06-0002-75-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-877
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM