EVALUATION OF STRUCTURAL STEEL COATINGS IN RELATION TO INDUSTRIAL ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS
Project No. 23 has supplied added technical information on the durability of coatings applied to structural steel and exposed to the atmosphere plus chemical fumes from nearby industrial plants. The amount and nature of those chemical fumes were recorded and averages established for later use in the accelerated testing program. The coating system was designated failing when the degree of rusting of the steel had reached 10% on the ASTM D-610 pictorial standards. Sets of steel panels were blast-cleaned to commercial and to white metal and one set was pre-rusted and then cleaned by wire brushing. Paints were applied by brush and spray. Some one coat primed applied panels were exposed. The general types of available primers and some recommended top coats were included. The most important result of this project is the economy of blast-cleaning the structural steel to at least the Commercial Standard prior to coating. Vinyl top coats show some checking. Aluminum top coats are satisfactory.
- Prepared in cooperation with Moore Research Labs., Inc., Southampton, Pa. and Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C.
West Virginia Department of Highways1900 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV USA 25305
Washington, DC USA 20590
Moore Research Laboratories, IncorporatedP.O. Box 947
Southampton, PA USA 18966
- Moore, J C
- O'Leary, J R
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Air pollution; Aluminum; Blast cleaning; Chemical industry; Cleaning; Coatings; Concrete; Corrosion; Corrosion protection; Durability; Evaluation; Fumes; Highway bridges; Paint; Rusting; Steel; Structural steel; Structures
- Old TRIS Terms: Concrete composition
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00094120
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WVDOH-23 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM