CORRELATION RESULTS OF MODEL AND FULL SCALE DUCTED PROPELLER CAVITATION OBSERVATIONS
In adopting the ducted propeller for a 280,000 DWT tanker, the M.S. 'THORSAGE', the authors conducted model tests in the cavitation tunnel and in the NSMB depressurized towing tank (vacuum tank) to study the ducted propeller cavitation. Also full scale cavitation observations were carried out successfully during the sea trials of the M.S. 'THORSAGA' using a T.V. camera scanning the propeller. The observed results were recorded on video tape. Results of the cavitation tunnel and vacuum tank experiments are presented together with the full scale cavitation observations, and the correlation between the model and full scale observations is discussed. The model test procedures are also described.
- Symposium on High Powered Propulsion of Large Ships, Part 1, December 10-13, 1974, Wageningen, Netherlands. Entire proceedings-2 volumes, 26 papers-available for $21.00.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinHaagsteed 2, P.O. Box 28
- Narita, H
- Kunitake, Y
- YAGI, H
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Ducted propellers; Propellers
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00128925
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 490
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM