HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT - MULTIPLE VEHICLE COLLISION AND FIRE, U.S. 13 NEAR SNOW HILL, NORTH CAROLINA, MAY 31, 1985
The details are described of an accident in which a northbound tractor-semitrailer collided with 2 southbound vehicles on a curve on U.S. 13 near Snow Hill, North Carolina. The first collision on the 2-lane undivided highway was with a 1982 schoolbus. After this collision, the northbound tractor-semitrailer struck a southbound tractor semitrailer loaded with shelled corn. After the collisions, the northbound tractor-semitrailer, the grain truck's tractor, and the front of the grain truck's semitrailer caught fire. The weather was clear and the pavement was dry. The truckdriver of the first truck sustained fatal injuries. Of the 27 schoolbus passengers (ages 5 - 13 years), 15 sustained minor to moderate injuries, 10 sustained serious or severe injuries, and 2 received critical injuries; 6 passengers died. The schoolbus driver, the grain truck driver, and the driver and passenger in the automobile sustained minor injuries.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1986-8-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash reports; Fires; Multiple vehicle crashes; School buses; Tractor trailer combinations; Traffic crashes; Truck drivers; Trucks
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00496167
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB/HAR-8602, HS-039 757
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1990 12:00AM