LUMINAIRE AND SIGN SUPPORTS - EXECUTIVE SUMMARY. FINAL REPORT
A series of eight full-scale crash tests was conducted on five luminaire and sign supports. The test articles were embedded in S-1 soil as per NCHRP No. 230 recommendations. The test vehicles used for all eight impact tests were 1979 Volkswagen Rabbits with the test mass adjusted to be in the range of 1800 plus or minus 50 lb. A triaxial accelerometer was placed near the vehicle center gravity (c.g.) to record the vehicle decelerations. Each test event was covered with one real-time and three to four high-speed movie cameras. The data acquired from the tests were processed as per NCHRP No. 230 procedure. The results were evaluated against the dynamic performance requirements specified in the most recent AASHTO and NCHRP No. 230 documents. The detailed test and evaluation results and the test reports are presented in this final report.
- See also FHWA-RD-88-225, Luminaire and Sign Supports - Technical Volume.
Mobility Systems and Equipment Company9920 La Cienega Boulevard, Suite 708
Inglewood, CA United States 90301
Federal Highway AdministrationTurner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 6300 Georgetown Pike
McLean, VA United States 22101
- KHADILKAR, A V
- Pruitt, S
- Kippen, T
- Publication Date: 1989-9
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Breakaway supports; Crash tests; Crashes; Deceleration; High speed photography; Luminaires; Performance evaluations; Photography; Sign supports; Test vehicles; Testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Test results
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00495675
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-88-224, R8006-Final, 31T3-282
- Contract Numbers: DTFH61-87-Z-00103
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1990 12:00AM