VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION SYSTEMS STUDY
Several methods of classifying vehicles employing mechanical-electrical and television-video tape systems were field tested and evaluated to determine their state of development and possible future use in highway data collection activities. Mechanical-electrical systems tested consisted of an inductance loop detector with two pneumatic road tubes (or two road tubes alone) along with a solid state device which automatically classifies traffic into six categories depending upon axle number and axle spacing. Systems are suitable for both permanent installation and portable use. A permanent system was installed on I-75 south of Atlanta and provides car and truck average speeds in addition to vehicle classification data via telemetry through a dedicated WATS line to a central office computer. The television-video tape system involves the use of a closed circuit television camera and time-lapse video tape recorder to provide a continuous visual record of the traffic stream from which vehicle classification data can be extracted manually from playback on a television monitor. The results of field testing over a 3 1/2 year period indicated that further improvements are necessary and appear attainable before the mechanical-electrical systems can be used with confidence in practical applications.
Georgia Department of TransportationOne Georgia Center
600 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA United States 30308
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Alexander, MMJ
- Threlkeld, R
- Williams, J
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic vehicle monitoring; Axles; Classification; Field tests; Flame photometry; Highway traffic; Loop detectors; Pneumatic equipment; Research; Solid state devices; Surveillance; Telemetry; Television; Television cameras; Traffic surveillance; Traffic surveys; Vehicle classification; Vehicles; Videotapes
- Identifier Terms: Interstate Highway System
- Old TRIS Terms: Pneumatic devices; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093949
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 10 1976 12:00AM