SIDE REFLECTION AT BICYCLES IN 1986 AND 1987. THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PRESENCE OF SIDE REFLECTIONAL BICYCLES. RESULTS OF MEASUREMENTS UNTIL DECEMBER 1987
ZIJREFLECTIE BIJ FIETSEN IN 1986 EN 1987: DE ONTWIKKELING VAN DE AANWEZIGHEID VAN ZIJREFLECTIE BIJ FIETSEN; RESULTATEN VAN METINGEN TOT EN MET DECEMBER 1987
The Dutch Institute for Road Safety SWOV has measured the presence and use of safety provisions for bicycles for many years. The report presents the results of a survey which measured the presence of side reflection and the level of bicycle-lighting. In general it can be concluded that in December 1987 about 10 % more bicycles had some kind of side reflection than in April 1987. Cyclists in the age group between 16 and 34 used their vehicle lighting significantly less than other age groups, and their vehicle lighting was often in bad condition. On the basis of these results the following recommendations are set: to increase the presence of side reflection and the use of vehicle-lighting in particular for the cyclist age group between 16 and 34; the application of quality specification with the purpose to improve the quality of the side reflection; and to repeat the measurements in December 1988.
- Text in Dutch, summary in English. Available outside the North American Continent from Institute for Road Safety Research SWOV, P.O.Box 170, 2260 AD Leidschendam, The Netherlands.
Institute for Road Safety Research, SWOVBezuidenhoutseweg 62
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- BLOKPOEL, A
- Publication Date: 1988
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Bicycles; Cyclists; Drivers; Reflectorized materials; Vehicle lighting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver age
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00494659
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-88-14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1990 12:00AM