ACCIDENTS WITH HEAVY VEHICELS: A COMPARISON OF DATA FROM THE NETHERLANDS, EUROPE, AND THE USA
ONGEVALLEN MET ZWARE VOERTUIGEN: EEN VERGELIJKING VAN GEGEVENS UIT NEDERLAND, EUROPA EN DE VERENIGDE STATEN
Autobuses and lorries are important and often very necessary transport vehicles, but they are the most dangerous for other road users. The following factors can in theory be responsible for accidents in which heavy lorries are involved: vehicle design; highway design or layout; driver error; and other areas of conflict such as obstruction and the side wind produced by lorries when overtaking. The poor or even bad functioning of these heavy vehicles can cause accidents. Accident data can show which of these problems are better or worse than those produced by cars or delivery vans. A review of the literature on accidents involving heavy vehicles over the last ten years is presented. The literature is mainly from Europe and the United States. The main purpose of the study is to compare the traffic safety record of heavy vehicles in a number of countries, especially in Europe, with the situation in the Netherlands, in order to ascertain whether the causes of accidents involving heavy lorries is the same for all countries. These comparisons can serve as a basis for future research into accidents with heavy vehicles in the Netherlands, using police records.
- Text in Dutch, summary in English. Available outside the North American Continent from Institute for Road Safety Research SWOV, P.O.Box 170, 2260 AD Leidschendam, The Netherlands.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- Tromp, JPM
- Publication Date: 1988
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Buses; Crashes; Driver performance; Drivers; Errors; Heavy vehicles; Highway design; Performance; Personnel performance; Statistics; Traffic safety; Trucking; Trucks; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus performance
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00494646
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-88-30
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1990 12:00AM