THE IMPACTS OF CARPOOL UTILIZATION ON THE KATY FREEWAY TRANSITWAY 42-MONTH "AFTER" EVALUATION. INTERIM REPORT
A major commitment has been made in the Houston area to develop physically separated transitways in the medians of freeways. The lanes are reserved for high-occupancy vehicles. Phase 1 of the first completed transitway opened on the Katy Freeway (I-10) in October 1984. Initially, only buses and authorized vanpools were permitted on the transitway. To increase potential utilization of this facility, authorized 4+ carpools began using the transitway on a test basis in April 1985. In November 1985, 3+ carpools were authorized to use the transitway. In August 1986, the authorization requirements were dropped and the transitway was opened to 2+ carpools. This research study, funded jointly by the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County and the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, was initiated in order to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the effects of permitting carpools to utilize the transitway. This report documents data collected in October 1988, 3.5 years after carpool utilization of the transitway began. This report compares the 1988 data to similar data collected before carpool utilization was permitted (March 1985) and after carpool utilization was permitted (April 1986, October 1987). These comparisons address numerous concerns and provide an indication of the effectiveness of allowing carpools on the transitway.
- Research study title: An Evaluation of the Impact of Permitting Carpools to Use the Katy Transitway.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hawkins Jr, H G
- Christiansen, D L
- Publication Date: 1989-9
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Before and after studies; Carpools; Guideways; High occupancy vehicle lanes; High occupancy vehicles; Impact studies; Traffic lanes; Utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Reserved lanes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00494538
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-89/484-11, Res Rept 484-11, TTI: 2-10-85-484-11
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-85-484
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1990 12:00AM