EVALUATION OF DIESEL ENGINE PERFORMANCE WITH INTAKE AND EXHAUST SYSTEM THROTTLING. VOLUME I: TEXT AND APPENDIXES A THROUGH H
The diesel engine itself is an important source of diesel powered vehicle noise, and becomes dominant after proper treatment of intake/exhaust and cooling system noise at vehicle speeds below fifty miles per hour. An investigation is reported, in two volumes, to quantify the effects of intake and exhaust restrictions, and load-speed scheduling on the radiated noise from four diesel truck engines, produced by different manufacturers. Sound power measurements were made in an acoustically modified engine performance test cell. The noise associated with intake, exhaust, cooling and their respective ducting systems were appropriately abated to permit quantification of engine radiated noise. Exhaust emission data including temperature and performance data were also monitored. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
- See also Volume 2, PB-247 753.
Bartlesville Energy Technology CenterDepartment of Energy
Bartlesville, OK United States 74003
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Hern, R
- Eccleston, B
- Marshall, W
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Calculation; Constraints; Diesel engines; Diesel trucks; Emission control systems; Engines; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Intake valves; Measurement; Noise; Noise control; Noise sources; Performance; Performance tests; Pollution; Statistics; Temperature; Traffic noise; Transportation; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation; Noise reduction; Transportation noise
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Constraining; Diesel engine noise; Engine noise; Intake systems; Truck noise
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Environment; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093918
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-OST-74-42.I
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 10 1977 12:00AM