DEVELOPMENT OF ELECTROPLATED TERNE SHEET
The electrodeposition behavior of Pb-Sn alloy and properties of terne (Pb-Sn alloy) electroplated steel sheet were investigated to develop electroplated terne steel sheet for automotive gasoline tank applications. The electrodeposition of Pb-Sn alloy from fluoborate bath containing hydroquinon was of regular type of codeposition. The alloy composition was kept nearly constant in the wide range of manufacturing conditions, and high current density was applicable. Thus, terne electroplating from fluoborate bath is advantageous. Electroplated terneplate with the coatings containing 6% Sn or more met all the requirements for automotive gasoline tank material, such as corrosion resistance, solderability and weldability. Electroplated terne steel sheet proved to be suitable for gasoline tank material by evaluating real gasoline tank made of electroplated terne steel sheet.
- This paper is also included in Nippon Kokan Technical Review, n55, pp 73-81, 1989.
Nippon Kokan Kabushiki Kaisha1-1-13, Ctemachi, Chiyoda-ku
- Watanabe, K K
- Sagiyama, M
- Sugimoto, Y
- Omura, M
- Murakoshi, T
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Alloy steel; Alloys; Corrosion resistance; Electroplating; Gasoline; Materials tests; Steel; Tanks (Containers); Welding
- Uncontrolled Terms: Weldability
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I34: Steels and Metals;
- Accession Number: 00494340
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1990 12:00AM