SOLON: AN AUTONOMOUS VEHICLE MISSION PLANNER
The State-Operator Logic Machine (SOLON) Planner provides an architecture for effective real-time planning and replanning for an autonomous vehicle. The highlights of the system, which distinguish it from other Al-based planners that have been designed previously, are its hybrid application of state-driven control architecture and the use of both schematic representations and logic programming for the management of its knowledge base. SOLON is designed to provide multiple levels of planning for a single autonomous vehicle which is supplied with a skeletal, partially-specified mission plan at the outset of the vehicle's operations. This mission plan consists of a set of objectives, each of which will be decomposable by the planner into tasks. These tasks are themselves comparatively complex sets of actions which are executable by a conventional real-time control system which does not perform planning but which is capable of making adjustments or modifications to the provided tasks according to constraints and tolerances provided by the Planner. The current implementation of the SOLON is in the form of a real-time simulation of the planner module of an Intelligent Vehicle Controller (IVC) on-board an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV). The simulation is embedded within a larger simulator environment known as ICDS (Intelligent Controller Development System) operating on a Symbolics 3645/75 computer.
Martin Marietta CorporationAero and Naval Systems, 1450 South Rolling Road
Baltimore, MD United States 21227
- Dudziak, M J
- Publication Date: 1987-7
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Automobiles; Intelligent transportation systems; Modules (Electricity); Real time control; Real time data processing; Simulation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Modules
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00494069
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1990 12:00AM