MATHEMATICAL FORMULATION FOR PLANNING AUTOMATED AIRCRAFT SEPARATIONS FOR AERA (AUTOMATED EN-ROUTE ATC (AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL)) 3
An algorithm, called Gentle-Strict (GS), is given for automated resolution of crossing conflicts between two aircraft, using parallel lateral offset maneuvers. Though other algorithms have been proposed for the purpose, GS uniquely facilitates quantitative analysis of the conflict resolution process itself, as well as quantitative analysis of the links between pairwise conflict resolution and longer lookahead air traffic control strategies. The main result of the document is a closed-form mathematical formula which relates parameterizations of the encounter geometry, the pathkeeping uncertainties, the minimum separation achieved by GS, and the 'gentleness' of parallel lateral offset resolution maneuvers (as parameterized by magnitude of offset and by induced delay upon the aircraft).
Mitre Corporation1820 Dolley Madison Boulevard
McLean, VA United States 22102
- NIEDRINGHAUS, W P
- Publication Date: 1989-4
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Algorithms; Conflict (Psychology); Maneuvering; Mathematical models; Parametric equations; Quantitative analysis
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00494017
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTR-88W00049, DOT/FAA/DS-89/20
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1990 12:00AM