JUDGEMENT OF MANEUVERING CAPABILITIES OF SHIPS WITH YAW INSTABILITY PROBLEMS
BEWERTUNG DER MANOEVIERFAEHIGKEIT GIERINSTABILER SCHIFFE
An additional handicap of modern container carriers, which normally can be kept on straight course only by autopilots, is that due to the usually high deck load their maneuvering performance is strongly influenced by wind disturbances. That is why there is an urgent need to reflect on the maneuvering characteristics of ships with yaw instability problems. The present contribution to this topic firstly introduces in short those testing procedures which evidently enable the prognosticating of the yaw stability qualities of ships and ship models, respectively (spiral maneuver, pull-out test, modified zig-zag maneuver, system identification, phase plans analysis). Furthermore an account of the state of the art regarding the judgement of maneuvering capabilities is given.
- In German
Hamburgische Schiffsbau-Versuchsanstalt G.m.b.H.Hamburg, Germany
- Oltmann, P
- Publication Date: 1988-6
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Cargo ships; Carriers; Containers; Maneuverability; Maneuvering; Ships; Yaw
- Subject Areas: Highways; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00494016
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1990 12:00AM