FIXED HYDROFOIL CONTROL SURFACE
The patent application relates to a fixed hydrofoil control surface for use as a rudder or pitch control fin attached to a vehicle, and having an elliptical hydrofoil shaped body with a pair of jet discharge slots formed parallel and along the trailing edge. Liquid, forced out of one or the other slots, deflects the main flow from over the hydrofoil by the Coanda effect to one or the other side to create a positive or negative control force without the need of deflecting the control surface.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of Application available from NTIS.
Department of the NavyConstitution Avenue and 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States
- Wolf, J H
- Englar, R J
- Williams, R M
- Publication Date: 1973-9-17
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Airfoils; Hydrofoils; Patents; Performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Control surfaces
- Old TRIS Terms: Coanda effect; Patents (Hydrofoil control)
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00128768
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pat. Appl.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 21 1976 12:00AM