COLD RECYCLING MATERIALS STUDY. FINAL REPORT
The purpose of this research study is to evaluate the feasibility of cold recycling through a limited scope laboratory evaluation. Two reclaimed asphalt pavements (RAPs) were selected; one was approximately 14 years old and the other was approximately 4 years old. Two emulsified asphalt binders, SS-1 and CMS-2 were selected for evaluation. The only acceptable mixture obtained in the laboratory was from the older RAP and the SS-1 emulsion in regards to Marshall Test properties. No acceptable stripping resistance was obtained from the laboratory mixture. Stripping resistance is considered critical for adequate performance of cold recycled materials. As such cold recycling is not recommended at this time for use in Mississippi as based on the limited results of this study.
Mississippi State Highway DepartmentP.O. Box 1850
Jackson, MI United States 39215
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Lyon Jr, J W
- Publication Date: 1989-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt pavements; Binders; Cold in-place recycling; Cold weather; Emulsified asphalt; Laboratory tests; Marshall test; Performance evaluations; Recycled materials; Recycling; Stripping (Pavements)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods;
- Accession Number: 00493706
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MSHD-RD-89-091
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 30 1990 12:00AM