COAST GUARD: FEDERAL COSTS RESULTING FROM THE EXXON VALDEZ OIL SPILL
This report provides information on the federal costs of dealing with the Exxon Valdez oil spill, which occurred on March 24, 1989, in Alaska's Prince William Sound. The focus was on determining: costs federal agencies estimate they have incurred; whether the agencies had procedures to seek reimbursement from Exxon; and the extent to which these agencies have been reimbursed. This interim report addresses estimated costs reported by federal agencies as of September 30, 1989, and reimbursements received through November 15, 1989. It was found that nine agencies had incurred costs from the spill. The total was $125.2 million, of which $111.8 million was for cleanup, $12.3 million was for damage assessment, and $1.1 million was for other costs resulting from the spill. The Department of Transportation, which through the Coast Guard was responsible for day-to-day coordination of federal cleanup activities, spent the second highest amount, or $33.3 million. All but one of the nine agencies have sought full or partial reimbursement. They have used two approaches to do so: the 311(k) fund, established by the Clean Water Act to finance the cleanup of oil spills and administered by the Coast Guard; and separate and direct reimbursement agreements with Exxon. As of the date stated above, Exxon had reimbursed $80.8 million of the $125.2 million of costs incurred. The unreimbursed balance of $44.4 million includes amounts not yet billed to Exxon, bills being processed by agencies or Exxon, and amounts questioned by Exxon or the Coast Guard.
- Record URL:
- Fact Sheet for Congressional Requesters.
U.S. General Accounting Office441 G Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20548
- Publication Date: 1990-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost recovery; Costs; Federal government agencies; Oil spills; Transportation departments
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation; United States Coast Guard
- Uncontrolled Terms: Clean water act
- Old TRIS Terms: Direct agreements; Oil spillage; Reimbursable costs
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00493690
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: GAO/RCED-90-91FS
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 30 1990 12:00AM