ROAD RESEARCH. ROADSIDE OBSTACLES
Survey of national statistics on accidents involving roadside obstacles and roadside layout practice, revealed that the presence of such obstacles increases the frequency of accidents in general as well as the severity of accidents involving vehicles running off the roadway. This survey report also reviews accident studies and experimental tests involving collisions with obstacles protection systems, and describes the design of lighting and sign structures and impact attenuating devices. The economic aspects of accidents against obstacles and the related safety measures are analysed, and recommendations are made for improved engineering practice and future research.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)2, rue André Pascal
Paris, France 75775 Paris Cedex 16
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Collisions; Crash cushions; Crash investigation; Crash severity; Crashes; Economics; Hazards; Lighting columns; Obstructions (Navigation); Poles (Supports); Protection; Research; Roadside; Roadside structures; Safety; Signals; Statistics; Testing
- Old TRIS Terms: Signal support (Structural)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Economics; Environment; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00128755
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM