RADIOCHEMISTRY TEST PROGRAM FOR THE N.S. SAVANNAH NUCLEAR POWER PLANT. PART 1: CAMDEN OPERATIONS
Radioactive constituents of the primary coolant of a pressurized water reactor plant are removed by natural radioactive decay, plant purification systems, and deposition on internal surfaces of the primary coolant system. The rate of removal for the first two processes are determined by standard physical methods; the third mechanism is expected to be constant unless coolant chemistry parameters change. Therefore, the amount of each radioactive species present in the system is a function of its production rate and removal rate. Both of these rate processes must be considered in evaluating the concentration of the individual radionuclides at steady--state conditions. The objectives of the radiochemistry test program for the N.S. Savannah are characterization of the radioactive species in the primary coolant of the reactor plant and the correlation of these concentrations with important reactor and primary system operating parameters and radiological safety factors. The three general types of radionuclides which comprise the radioactivity of the primary coolant are fission products, neutron-activated corrosion products, and other activation products resulting from neutron activation of the trace elements in the primary coolant or of the constituent atoms of the coolant.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NSEC-57.
Nuclear Science and Engineering CorporationP.O. Box 10901, Physical Sciences Department
Pittsburgh, PA USA
New York Shipbuilding CorporationYorktown, VA USA
- Battist, L
- Winnowski, W S
- Koch, R C
- Publication Date: 1961-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor coolants; Radiation doses; Radioactive wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Radionuclides
- Old TRIS Terms: Radiological safety
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026392
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSEC-57 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-1675
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 2 1973 12:00AM