LOUISIANA EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES PLAN
A comprehensive emergency medical services (EMS) plan for the State of Louisiana is presented. The plan is intended as a guide for upgrading of EMS at the State and local levels. The background of the plan is described. Weaknesses in the existing system for delivery of EMS transportation or ambulance service, the apparent concentration of hospital emergency services and facilties in major metropolitan areas and the statewide lack of effective EMS communications are noted. An additional problem is lack of public awareness of present inadequacies and of the need for improving services. Results of studies of ambulance service, hospital facilities, and communications capabilities are summarized. Recommendations are stated, primary among which is the development of legislation to insure standardization of minimal levels of service Statewide. The organization of the EMS program is outlined, including State, local, and areawide responsibilities. A four-stage plan for implementing recommendations is presented. With the aid of tables, graphs, and maps, individual chapters describe the current status of EMS transportation, hospital emergency services, and EMS communications in Louisisana. Appendices include supporting tabulated data, a model patient record form, a summary of emergency medical services legislation in Louisiana, demographic data, system specifications and dial directory of the Louisiana Hospital Association Emergency Medical Communications Network recommended for Statewide use, and copies of the ambulance and hospital survey forms. A three-page bibliography is included. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Louisiana Health and Social and Rehabilitation Services AdministrationEmergency Medical Services Planning Committee
Baton Rouge, LA United States
Louisiana Regional Medical ProgramNew Orleans, LA United States
Public Health Service5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD United States 20852
- Pellecchia, J
- Falgout, R F
- Edwards, A J
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 192 p.
- TRT Terms: Ambulances; Emergencies; Emergency medical services; Health; Health care; Health care facilities; Health care services; Local government; Medical personnel; Medical services; Plans (Drawings); Regional planning; State government; States; Transportation
- Geographic Terms: Louisiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Health care delivery; Health occupations; Plans; State planning
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00093692
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM