DEFENSE HIGHWAY REQUIREMENTS TO THE YEAR 2020
The Military Traffic Management Command (MTMC) is the Department of Defense executive agent for all public highway matters. MTMC is a major Army command and a component of the U.S. Transportation Command. The MTMC has identified strategic highway network needs, connector road needs, and highway operational needs which must be integrated into civil programs to satisfy national defense requirements. This report identifies specific defense needs for incorporation into post-Interstate highway programs. It also identifies the role of highway authorities, primarily the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation and the State Transportation Departments, in executing these programs. Specific requirements in the following areas are outlined: Strategic Highway Network Corridor (STRAHNET) and connectors; oversize/overweight routes and defense standards; installation roads; uniform size and weight limits; congestion--metropolitan areas; emergency highway operations; Mobilization Movement Control (MOBCON); intermodalism; transportation modeling and data bases; and research and development.
Department of the ArmyHQ Military Traffic Management Command, 5611 Columbia Pike
Falls Church, VA United States 22041-5050
- Publication Date: 1989-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Databases; Defense; Development; Disaster preparedness; Disasters and emergency operations; Finance; Financing; Highway corridors; Highways; Infrastructure; Installation; Intermodal transportation; Laws; Load limits; Mathematical models; Military facilities; Needs assessment; Oversize loads; Overweight loads; Research; Roads; Size; Size and weight regulations; Strategic planning; Traffic congestion; Transportation; Weight
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Defense
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Defense highways
- Subject Areas: Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00491207
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 28 1990 12:00AM