INVESTIGATION OF RUTTING IN ASPHALT CONCRETE PAVEMENTS. INTERIM REPORT
Pavement cores were collected from rutting asphalt concrete pavements less than 2 years after last overlay. Tests were performed in an attempt to determine the cause(s) of rutting. Findings revealed common causes such as excessive asphalt, fine-grained aggregate and natural, rounded aggregate particles. A laboratory test program was designed and initiated to quantify the contribution to rutting in asphalt concrete mixtures when increasing amounts of natural (uncrushed) aggregate particles are added. The objective is to generate supporting data and prepare specifications for maximum quantity of certain natural sands, minimum top-size aggregate and minimum voids in mineral aggregate in paving mixtures to be placed on high traffic volume roadways. Results to date have shown that susceptibility to plastic deformation increases dramatically when natural particles replace crushed particles in a given aggregate gradation.
- Research study title: Investigation of Rutting in Asphalt Concrete Pavements.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Button, J W
- Perdomo, D
- Publication Date: 1989-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 71 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt concrete; Cores (Specimens); Crushed aggregates; Laboratory tests; Mineral aggregates; Pavement performance; Plastic deformation; Ruts (Pavements); Specifications; Void ratios
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aggregate size; Causes; Rut
- Old TRIS Terms: Cores; Uncrushed aggregate; Void
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials; I36: Aggregates;
- Accession Number: 00491146
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-89-1121-1, Res Rept 1121-1, TTI: 2-8-87-1121-1
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-8-87-1121
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 28 1990 12:00AM