A SUMMARY OF SURVEY DATA FROM THE KATY, NORTH, NORTHWEST AND GULF TRANSITWAYS, APRIL 1985 THROUGH NOVEMBER 1988. INTERIM REPORT
In order to improve mobility within the Houston metropolitan area, the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County and the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation have joined together to implement an extensive system of transitways in the medians of the city's existing freeway system. These lanes are reserved for the exclusive use of high-occupancy vehicles. At present, carpools are permitted to use three of the four transitways in operation. Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) is currently monitoring the impacts associated with the implementation and operation of these facilities. In addition, TTI is also engaged in an assessment of public attitudes concerning the transitways. This assessment is being accomplished through the periodic distribution of survey questionnaires to both transitway users and nonusers. This report presents the results of transitway user and nonuser surveys performed in the Katy, North, Northwest and Gulf Transitway corridors. In addition to obtaining socio-economic, demographic and travel information, the surveys were designed to: 1) determine perceptions of transitway utilization; 2) identify why individuals have chosen their present travel mode; and 3) assess commuter attitudes and impacts pertaining to the transitways. This report covers the time period from April 1985 through November 1988.
- Research study title: An Evaluation of the Impact of Permitting Carpools to Use the Houston Transitways.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bullard, D L
- Publication Date: 1989-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Carpools; Consumers; Data collection; Guideways; High occupancy vehicles; Questionnaires; Surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Users
- Geographic Terms: Houston (Texas)
- Old TRIS Terms: Nonusers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00491145
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-89/27+484-10, Res Rept 484-10, TTI: 2-10-85-484-10
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-85-484
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 28 1991 12:00AM