A COMPREHENSIVE POLICY TO AMELIORATE ADVERSE IMPACTS OF TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES
Transportation facilities impose numerous adverse economic, social and environmental impacts on surrounding communities. These adverse impacts significantly detract from the overall positive effects of such facilities. A number of initiatives have been developed which help ameliorate adverse transportation impacts at the source, and through facility location and design. There are, however, additional outside the right-of-way measures which might be taken to reduce adverse impacts. In this report, the available alternatives for outside the right-of-way action are reviewed, and a package of viable program techniques including noise regulation, grants in aid, and untied compensation is proposed. Draft legislation is outlined which makes provision for: (1) Acquisition of land or development rights in land outside the right-of-way, (2) construction of berms and sound-absorbing barriers, (3) sound-proofing of private and public structures, (4) short-term loans to municipalities and small businesses financially impacted, and (5) cash compensation to homeowners suffering property value losses.
- See also PB-247 824.
Urban Systems Research & Engineering, Incorporated1033 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
Office of Environment, Safety and Consumer Affairs400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Blackburn, A J
- Oster, S
- Oksman, C
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 138 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Barriers (Roads); Berms; Construction projects; Damping (Engineering); Design; Economic factors; Economic impacts; Environmental impacts; Facilities; Grant aid; Legislation; Local government; Noise barriers; Noise control; Property acquisition; Property condemnation; Rapid transit; Regulations; Right of way (Land); Social factors; Social impacts; Social values; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Noise reduction; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Community consequences
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Economics; Environment; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00093634
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., DOT/OS-40058-5
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40058
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 4 1981 12:00AM