THE MOTIONS OF A SHIP IN SHALLOW WATER
A general formulation is given of the hydrodynamic forces on a ship, oscillating about a state of rest in six degrees of freedom in response to excitation by a harmonic wave in shallow water. A method is described to obtain a numerical approximation of the velocity potential, describing the flow around the moving ship by means of a distribution of discrete three-dimensional sources. With this method it is possible to take the influence of a quay into account. Calculated values of wave excited forces, hydrodynamic coefficients and motions of a 200,000 tdw tanker in shallow water are presented and compared with experimental results.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinHaagsteed 2, P.O. Box 28
- van Oortmerssen, G
- Publication Date: 1975-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Loads; Navigation; Potential flow; Ship motion; Waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Shallow water effects; Wave induced loads
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00128644
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM