WET NIGHT VISIBILITY STUDY
Apparatus and methods developed for characterization of roadway delineation systems are described, and laboratory and field tests are reported for a selection of eleven retroreflective systems. Hot sprayed and hot extruded thermoplastic striping applied in the standard marking pattern and in other patterns, asphalt bonded granite aggregate overcoated with white beaded paint, asphalt bonded Sinopal aggregate, button reflectors, and GDOT's standard white beaded traffic paint were included in a full factorial field study covering about 15 miles on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta. Both visual effectiveness and maintenance studies were performed, and the effects of snow-plow damage were assesed on a section of U.S. 129 at Neel's Gap in North Georgia. Independent photometric methods yielded good correlation in the laboratory and field, wet and dry, and the results were in agreement with visual evaluation.
- Sponsored by Georgia Dept. of Transportation, Atlanta. See also PB-231 020.
University of Georgia, ExperimentGeorgia Experiment Station
Experiment, GA United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
Georgia Department of TransportationOne Georgia Center
600 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA United States 30308
- Tooke Jr, W R
- Hurst, D R
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 238 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost engineering; Highway delineators; Highway design; Highway traffic control; Maintainability; Moisture content; Night; Night visibility; Paint; Pavements; Photometry; Plastics; Reflectivity; Reflectorized materials; Retroreflectors; Snowplows; Striping materials; Thermoplastic materials; Thermoplastic resins; Traffic paint; Traffic safety; Visibility
- Identifier Terms: Interstate Highway System
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reflectance; Wet conditions
- Old TRIS Terms: Beading; Highway delineation; Markers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093623
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 6701
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM