SHIELD DESIGN PROCEDURES
Procedures are presented for estimating secondary shielding design which are thought to be simple enough to be used by relatively inexperienced personnel. Introductory terminology and concepts are presented in the first section. Section 2 and 3 describe methods of obtaining the characteristics of the basic secondary shield and the added allowances for penetrations and local shielding. An empirical method of estimating weight and space requirements for primary shielding is presented next. Alternative methods and materials for the fabrication and installation of shields are discussed in Section 5. Sections 6 and 7 are concerned with methods for the development of the secondary shield in addition to discussing a point source computer code for determining direct radiation dose rates and dose rates from gamma scattering.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number S-5-SH.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated30 Church Street
New York City, NY United States 10007
- Publication Date: 1961-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 105 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor components; Radiation shielding
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00026380
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: MA-1806
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1974 12:00AM