I-35W URBAN CORRIDOR DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
The purpose of the I-35W Urban Corridor Demonstration Project is to implement and evaluate the Bus-on-Metered Freeway System. The system includes the following elements: Metering of an urban radial freeway; a real-time surveillance, command and control system; extensive express bus service in the corridor; priority access to the freeway via express bus ramps; and provision of transit passenger amenities, i.e., bus shelters, signs, and park-and-ride facilities. The complete system, located in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, became operational in April 1974. Goals of the Urban Corridor Demonstration Program include: demonstrating the impact of a coordinated use of FHWA and UMTA programs in alleviating peak hour congestion in heavily used traffic corridors; improving the efficiency of existing transportation facilities in terms of people moving capability; encouragement of urban areas to coordinate planning of highway and transit improvements to obtain maximum impact; and improvement of peak hour traffic flow in the project cities and documentation of results for national application.
- Prepared by Bather-Ringrose-Wolsfeld, Inc., Edina, Minn.
Metropolitan Council of Twin CitiesMetropolitan Square Building
Minneapolis, MN United States 55105
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Bather-Ringrose-Wolsfeld, Incorporated7101 York Avenue South
Edina, MN United States 55435
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Pagination: 445 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus stop shelters; Buses; Cost effectiveness; Demonstration projects; Environmental impacts; Express buses; Freeways; Highway traffic control; Park and ride; Parking facilities; Ramps; Surveillance; Traffic congestion; Traffic engineering; Traffic flow; Traffic surveillance; Transportation corridors; Transportation operations; Urban growth; Urban highways; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Minnesota
- Old TRIS Terms: Metering; Urban corridors
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00093620
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-DC-06-0062-75-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7953
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 4 1981 12:00AM