DETECTION OF FAILED FUEL ELEMENTS IN THE NUCLEAR POWER PLANT OF N.S. SAVANNAH, RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SYSTEM DESIGN AND PREPARATION OF OPERATING PROCEDURES
In an addendum to a supplement report for applying a fuel element detector system to the N.S. Savannah, methods are described for 1) detecting fuel failure at an early stage, 2) determining the location of a failed element during plant operations, and 3) testing single assemblies for failure after plant shutdown. The addendum elaborates on the eventual usefulness of the proposed detection system and suggests work to be done to insure that detection equipment designs and associated plant operating procedures that are developed yield maximum results. Recommendations are given for the development of procedures for failure detection by varying local power levels, the addition of fresh fuel elements during core life, and the application of radiation detection equipment. A list of specific and general references is included.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BAW-SUP-2-Add-1.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA USA 24504
- Publication Date: 1961-1-24
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Failure analysis; Fuel elements; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear powered ships; Radiation monitoring
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor fuel elements
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026379
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SUP-20-2 Sum Rpt
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-1)-2468
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM