THE EFFECTS OF MOBILE-SOURCE AIR AND NOISE POLLUTION ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY VALUES
Air and noise pollution damages due to transportation activity are capitalized into the value of residential property. Measurement of relationships between pollution levels and property values provides a means of calculating some of the benefits of pollution abatement. Analysis of residential property values indicates the following damage relationships can be measured: (1) Mobile-source air pollution represented by photochemical oxidant concentrations; (2) stationary-source air pollution represented by suspended particulate matter concentrations; (3) highway traffic noise measured by the difference between high and background noise levels; (4) jet aircraft noise measured by the Noise Exposure Forecast; and (5) accessibility in terms of auto travel times. These effects are measured by using ordinary least-squares regression analysis on a cross section of 1970 urban property values for Washington, D. C., SMSA.
- See also PB-241 570. Executive Summary.
Pennsylvania State University, University ParkCenter for the Study of Science Policy
University Park, PA USA 16802
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Nelson, J P
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Aircraft noise; Benefit cost analysis; Depreciation; Dwellings; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Exhaust gases; Industrial trucks; Jet propelled aircraft; Metropolitan areas; Noise; Oxidizing agents; Particulates; Passenger vehicles; Pollution control; Present value; Property values; Regression analysis; Residential areas; Sound level; Traffic noise; Transportation; Travel time; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Abatement; Transportation noise; Value
- Geographic Terms: Maryland; Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Oxidant
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00093597
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., DOT/TST-75/76
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40094
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM