A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS -- COMPLETION REPORT, LESPERANCE-IVORY TERMINAL TRANSFER EXPERIMENT
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or requlatory aspect of the terminal. This report presents the results and conclusions from an experiment which temporarily waived an agreement giving crews at Ivory Yard exclusive rights to perform yard-to-yard transfer work between Lesperance and Ivory yards. The experiment permitted Lesperance crews to make transfers between these yards in addition to the Ivory crews who previously had exclusive rights. As a result of the experiment the number of transfers from Lesperance to Ivory increased by 50%/ the number of transfers from Ivory to Lesperance remained unchanged. The impact on car movement was dramatic. The average elapsed time from arrival Lesperance Street to arrival at Ivory was improved by at least 10 hours per car on a movement of about 200 cars/week. This represents a 33% decrease in the transit time for this traffic. Customers served from Ivory Yard also observed faster and more consistent movement of cars to and from industry. Based upon the favorable results from this experiment, the labor and management parties involved are negotiating an agreement to allow Lesperance crews to transfer cars to Ivory Yard.
- Requests should be directed to the Task Force on Rail Transportation of the Labor/Management Committee, D.M. Collins, Secretary, FRA.
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO USA 63103
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001-1564
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-3-14
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128615
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM