A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS -- COMPLETION REPORT, TRANS-RIVER TRANSFER EXPERIMENT
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or requlatory aspect of the terminal. This report presents the results and conclusions from an experiment which temporarily waived a 1940 agreement which requires that the hauling of traffic between MoPac's east and west side yard facilities at St. Louis across Municipal Bridge be divided on a 50%-25%-25% basis between Dupo, 23rd Street and Lesperance crews, respectively. Because this rule does not reflect the present distribution of Trans-River traffic, this experiment allowed terminal management to use the best situated crew for each Trans-River movement. Analysis of this experiment indicates that the relaxation of the provisions of the Trans-River Agreement has not induced the operation of additional trips across the river, but it has stimulated terminal management to improve the utilization of transfer crews by having them haul cars in both directions across the river more frequently. During a 20-week measurement period, Dupo crews made 45% of the Trans-River trips, 23rd Street made 35% and Lesperance Street made 20%. These results indicate that the percentages provided in the agreement are no longer suited for the present traffic pattern. This experiment also resulted in the savings of about three days per month clerical effort and eliminated the confusion and dissension involved in balancing the Trans-River trips.
- Requests should be directed to the Task Force on Rail Transportation of the Labor/Management Committee, D.M. Collins, Secretary. FRA.
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO USA 63103
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001-1564
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-4-30
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128614
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM