A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS - COMPLETION REPORT, EXPERIMENT INVOLVING THE INSTALLATION OF A REMOTE-CONTROL SWITCH AT KIRKWOOD, MISSOURI
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or regulatory aspect of the terminal. This report reflects the results and conclusions from an experiment involving the installation of a power switch and related CTC signaling at Kirkwood, Missouri, where Missouri Pacific's Carondelet Branch joins its St. Louis-Kansas City main line. Although changes in fixed facilities are outside the scope of the St. Louis Terminal Project, the Task Force on Rail Transportation decided to make this project an experiment because MoPac agreed to cover all costs of the project. The installation of the remote-control power turnout and signaling at Kirkwood has expedited the movement of five westbound trains daily with an average reduction in running time of approximately 18 minutes per train. It also eliminated the excessive blocking of street crossings in Kirkwood and Crestwood and provided safer train operations by allowing crews to enter and exit the main line at Kirkwood under signal indication.
- Requests should be directed to the Task Force on Rail Transportation of the Labor/Maragement Committee, D.M. Collins, Secretary. FRA.
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO United States 63103
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001-1564
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-9-26
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128613
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM