A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS -- COMPLETION REPORT, ALTON & SOUTHERN RUN- THROUGH TRAIN EXPERIMENT
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or regulatory aspect of the terminal. This report reflects the results and conclusions from an experiment involving the operation of a run-through train between Missouri Pacific's Neff Yard in Kansas City and the Alton & Southern's Gateway in East St. Louis. The operation of this train reduced car detention by 3.3. hours per car on an average of 53 cars a day. As a by-product of this experiment, the St. Louis Project Team helped initiate an agreement which allows certain A&S crews to haul MoPac-C&EI transfers between St. Louis and Mitchell, Illinois. Previously a crew change was required at East St. Louis. The run-through train operation lasted approximately five months before being terminated as a result of system-wide cutbacks in train operations brought on by the severe recessionary drop in carloadings during December 1974.
- Requests should be directed to the Task Force on Rail Transportation of the Labor/Management Committee, D.M. Collins, Secretary, FRA/
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO United States 63103
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001-1564
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-8-1
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128612
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM