A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS - COMPLETION REPORT, VALLEY JUNCTION EXPERIMENT
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or requlatory aspect of the terminal. This report presents the results and conclusions from an experiment involving a temporary change in a labor-management agreement which prohibited Missouri Pacific St. Louis crews from performing certain switching activities at Valley Junction Yard on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River. The goal of this experiment was to reduce the average terminal detention time on ICG traffic departing on MoPac road trains originating at St. Louis by six hours. The experiment was implemented for a 90-day period beginning July 1, 1975. Analysis of the affected traffic indicated that terminal detention time was reduced by an average of 3.1 hours -- from 16.7 to 13.6 hours/car. The experiment did not result in any significant change in the number of transfers operated to handle this ICG traffic. One principal benefit from this experiment was the operation of an additional transfer from Dupo to St. Louis made possible because the St. Louis crew handling this transfer was permitted to haul cars out of Dupo and pick up additional traffic at Valley Junction. This practice was prohibited by the provisions of the agreement temporarily waived by this experiment.
- Requests should be directed to the Task Force on Rail Transportation of the Labor/Management Committee, D.M. Collins, Secretary, FRA.
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO USA 63103
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001-1564
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-9-30
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Productivity; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Old TRIS Terms: Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128611
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM