RATIONAL PAVEMENT MANAGEMENT
Five papers are presented on aspects which include the purpose and objective criteria in pavement management, the measurement of ruts, the systems approach, and a working model for pavement design and management. The paper on "The meaning and purpose of rational pavement management", touches upon various aspects which include quality and quantity standards, service life, the relationship between comfort and structural behavior, and pavement redesign methods. Deflection measurements are discussed, comments are made on the economic aspects, and recommendations are made for pavement strengthening. The paper on "Rational pavement management based on objective critiera" deals with various measurable factors (skid resistance, evenness, road surface disintegration, and load-carrying capacity) illustrated by diagrams. "A new method of measuring ruts on roads", describes the development of a fast continuous rut meter. The possible ways of establishing an overall system of pavement analysis and research implementation is discussed in the paper: "Systems approach to design, evaluation and management of pavements." The paper, "A working model for pavement design and management", presents a systems method of pavement management which uses systems engineering to analyze many phases of the pavement problem.
Study Centre for Road Construction, Netherlands14a Jansbuitensingel
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 147 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearing capacity; Deflection; Economics; Mathematical models; Measurement; Pavement design; Pavement maintenance; Ruts (Pavements); Service life; Skid resistance; Smoothness; Standards; Systems engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Models; Rut
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00128570
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: S.C.W. Record 1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 10 1976 12:00AM