THE NATURAL STRATOSPHERE OF 1974. CIAP MONOGRAPH 1
The Climatic Impact Assessment Program (CIAP) of the U.S. Department of Transportation is charged with the 'assessment' of the impact of future aircraft fleets and other vehicles operating in, or transiting through, the stratosphere. CIAP monograph 1 gives a survey, largely from an experimental standpoint, of what is known in 1974 about the unperturbed stratosphere with respect to an application to stratospheric flight. It reviews the overall structure of the stratosphere, its origin in terms of ozone photochemistry, solar irradiance and overall radiative energy balance, other chemically reactive minor species, and atmospheric motions on a variety of scales of time and distance. The limitations of our understanding are emphasized in the presentation. Also, the monograph examines briefly what is known about the effect of massive injections of nitrogen oxides (from atmospheric nuclear explosions) and sulfur oxides (from major volcanic eruptions).
- See also PB-246 319.
Institute for Defense AnalysesScience and Technology Division
Arlington, VA United States 22202
Department of TransportationClimatic Impact Assessment Program, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 1339 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerosols; Atmosphere; Atmospheric chemistry; Atmospheric diffusion; Atmospheric pressure; Atmospheric temperature; Chemical analysis; Climatology; Energy transfer; Excitation; Ions; Measurement; Meteorological phenomena; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Ozone; Photochemistry; Solar radiation; Stratosphere; Supersonic transport planes; Trace elements; Turbulence; Ultraviolet radiation; Velocity; Volcanic ash; Volcanic eruptions; Wind
- Old TRIS Terms: Atmospheric composition; Meteorological data; Solar infrared radiation; Solar ultraviolet radiation; Turbulent diffusion; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Energy; Geotechnology;
- Accession Number: 00093495
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., DOT/TST-75-51
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30057
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM