POT BEARINGS AND PTFE SURFACES
This digest provides a summary of the pot bearing synthesis that was performed in Phase III of NCHRP Project 10-20, "Elastomeric Bearings Design, Construction, and Materials." Phase III concerned low temperature bearing behavior and prequalifications and acceptance testing. Pot bearings and bearings with PTFE (polytetrafluorethylene) sliding surfaces are widely used in bridge construction. They support heavy compressive loads while permitting large movements or rotations. Despite their wide use, they are typically designed and constructed on a highly empirical foundation based on guidelines proposed by the manufacturer. Present practice in the United States and abroad was examined in some detail. European experience is included because it is frequently longer than that noted in the U.S. The discussion of pot bearings includes structural behavior, design, materials, fabrication and installation, and certification test methods. For PTFE sliding surfaces, the discussion covers applications, material properties, design, installation and fabrication of bearings with PTFE, and certification methods.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1989-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 171
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Applications; Bearings; Bridge bearings; Building; Certification; Design; Fabrication; Facilities; Installation; Materials; Polytetrafluoroethylene; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Test procedures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pot bearings; Sliding surfaces; Structural behavior
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Education and Training; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; Research; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00488681
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 31 1989 12:00AM