A LABORATORY AND FIELD DURABILITY STUDY OF ASPHALTIC MIXTURES
The objective of this study was to investigate the field durability of flexible pavements as related to crack resistance of bituminous mixtures under actual traffic and environmental conditions. Research was conducted in three phases: Phase I used laboratory-controlled asphaltic concrete surface course mix to study effects of mixture variables and such testing conditions at temperature on crack resistance of laboratory compacted specimens: Phase II used plant-mixed AC compacted specimens for fatigue testing, evaluation of crack resistance parameters A and n, and to study the applicability of fracture mechanics analysis; in Phase III, detailed dynamic deflection, and in-situ moisture, density and temperature distribution measurements were conducted on three Ohio flexible pavements. Field samples were also taken and subjected to fatigue, fracture, dynamic modulus and indirect tensile strength testing in the laboratory. It was found that such mixture variables as asphalt content, viscosity, density, etc.effect the stability, durability, and fatigue and fracture resistance of asphaltic mixtures. These variables also influence such nonfailure parameters as dynamic modulus. Fatigue resistance parameters A and n were found to be directly influenced by a number of misture variables as well as dynamic moduli, which are in turn, affected by mixture variables. The parameters A and n were also found to be temperature-dependent.
- Research was sponsored by the Ohio Department of Transportation and conducted in cooperation with FHWA.
Ohio State University, ColumbusEngineering Experiment Station, 2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH USA 43210
- Majidzadeh, K
- Saraf, C L
- Ilves, G
- Makdisi-ilyas, F
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 385 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt mixtures; Bituminous mixtures; Concrete; Cracking; Durability; Dynamic modulus of elasticity; Fatigue tests; Flexible pavements; Surface course (Pavements); Swelling index
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concrete cracking
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00128502
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: OHIO-DOT-21-74 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 10 1976 12:00AM