ANYBODY HERE WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME?
The stance is taken that present day railroad management does not address the fundamental objectives needed to run a successful railroad: operating efficiency and operating discipline. Instead, moneys are spent on high level personnel who more often than not have very little knowledge as to how to manage a railroad while purchasing the latest "in" equipment and cutting back the very departments such as maintenance of way which are needed to keep the railroad up and running and the customer happy. Poor task assignments to supervisors, poor communications within the management levels can hardly promote employee discipline to run a more efficient operation. The author further states that after 150 years of operation, railroads have yet to develop the operating discipline needed to be responsive to shippers in a definitive and knowledgeable manner and the future looks no better.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: https://www.library.northwestern.edu/find-borrow-request/requests-interlibrary-loan/lending-institutions.html
- King Jr, E W
- Publication Date: 1989-11
- Pagination: p. 68-69
- TRT Terms: Management; Personnel; Railroads
- Old TRIS Terms: Operations management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00488520
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1989 12:00AM