INITIAL SETTLEMENT OF RAFT FOUNDATIONS ON SAND-A REVIEW
The extrapolation of existing methods for predicting settlement of individual footings resting on sand to predicting settlement of raft foundations on sand has met with little success. The prediction of settlement, both total and differential, and the structural design of the raft foundation are interrelated, and it is important to accurately predict the deflected shape of the foundation. Methods of design for foundations on sand are reviewed, their applicability to raft foundations considered and a technique which enables the determination of the complete deflection profile for raft foundations is recommended.
Commonwealth Scientific Indus Res Org, AustraliaDivision of Applied Geomechanics
East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- FRASER, R A
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Deflection; Footings; Forecasting; Ground settlement; Mat foundations; Sand
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00128487
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 23 Tech. Rpt
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM