IMMEDIATE TRAVEL IMPACTS OF TRANSBAY BART
The Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) System started service beneath San Francisco Bay in September 1974. The report analyzes travel patterns in the transbay corridor in the period before and immediately after the start of transbay BART service. Aggregate transbay travel by automobile and transit are analyzed in terms of historical trends and seasonal and short-term variations as the basis for assessing the impacts of BART. Impacts on traffic congestion are analyzed using highway travel time survey data. The results of on-route questionnaire surveys of transbay travelers using automobile, BART, and bus in October 1974 provide descriptions of the origin-destination pattern of transbay trips, their purposes, and the profiles of travelers. Traveler choices between BART and the alternative modes are analyzed in terms of reported travel times and costs and ratings of perceived importance and satisfaction for a set of 14 travel factors (impedances) included in the survey questionnaire. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
- Prepared in cooperation with Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co., Burlingame, Calif.
Metropolitan Transportation CommissionHotel Claremont
Berkeley, CA United States 94705
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- SHERRET, A
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 153 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Data collection; Highway traffic; Mode choice; Origin and destination; Passengers; Questionnaires; Rapid transit; Surveys; Traffic congestion; Traffic surveys; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Travel time; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District
- Geographic Terms: California; San Francisco Bay
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00093483
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MTC-TM-15-3-75 Tech. Memo
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-301-76, DOT-CA-09-0025
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1982 12:00AM