LOCAL PLANS AND LAND-USE CONTROLS IN RELATION TO HIGHWAYS AND THEIR USE: SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL
This supplementary material is an update of an earlier paper by the same author on the relationships between local plans and land-use controls and highways and their use. This supplement updates the earlier paper in four ways. One, it describes several changes to the prevailing system of local planning and land-use control which have implications for arterial highways and their use. Two, it discusses the results of a survey that was mailed to a number of governmental agencies regarding techniques for, and attitudes towards, addressing the impacts of development on highways and highway traffic. Three, a major portion of this supplement is devoted to a summary and analysis of the many recent court decisions reviewing the effects of local governments to avoid or mitigate the adverse impacts which development may have on highways and their use. Two recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions of importance are also discussed. Finally, a number of conclusions are drawn and recommendations are made for strengthening the legal basis for local plans and land-use controls which seek to influence the various ways development may affect highways and highway usage.
- Digital Copy:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/030902434X
- Page range: 936-N198-S1 through 936-N198-S44.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Heeter, D G
- Publication Date: 1988-6
- Pagination: 44 p.
- Selected Studies in Highway Law
- Volume: 2
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Data collection; Decision making; Highway law; Highway travel; Impacts; Land use planning; Legal action; Local government; Planning; Recommendations; Surveys; Traffic mitigation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Land use controls; Mitigation
- Old TRIS Terms: Decisions
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Research; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00488260
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-309-02434-X
- Report/Paper Numbers: Addendum 4
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 30 1989 12:00AM