THREE-POINT ANCHORING IN THE DEEP OCEAN
The unique capabilities of the Research Platform FLIP for underwater measurements has been greatly enhanced by the addition of a deep-ocean mooring technique. The method developed by this laboratory permits long-term 3-point moorings of FLIP to be made in 3000 fathoms using nylon/polypropylene line and anchors which are sacrificed in recovery. Research Platform, 'Ocean Research Buoy', has has also moored in 1500 fathoms using a modified multiple- moor method.
- Also published in U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, pp 100-104, Feb. 75.
Scripps Institution of OceanographyCalifornia Marine Physical Laboratory
San Diego, CA USA
- Bronson, E D
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Anchoring; Anchors (Mooring devices); Buoys; Force; Mooring; Moorings
- Old TRIS Terms: Anchor forces; Anchor lines
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128435
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MPL-U-43/71 Summ Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-69-A0200-6002
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM