EVALUATION OF THE WABCO AC PROPULSION SYSTEM. VOLUME 2. RELATED REPORTS AND EXHIBITS
In 1971, the Cleveland Transit System received a grant contract from UMTA to test, demonstrate, and evaluate a WABCO solid state AC propulsion system on three rapid transit cars (Project OH-06-0006). The independent evaluation was performed by Transportation and Environmental Operations, TRW, Inc. Redondo Beach, Calif. This is the final project report. Measurements of wheel wear, window safety glazing, ride quality, and passenger reaction to the restyled car interiors and new AC propulsion system are discussed. Contents of this report are: experimental design description for the CTS/WABCO AC propulsion demonstration program; instrumentation assessment, AC propulsion project; life cycle cost analysis plan for the Cleveland Transit System AC propelled cars; passenger reaction to AC propelled restyled rapid transit cars; evaluation of safety glazing; survey of Cleveland Transit System rapid transit maintenance procedures and facilities; and, telephone influence factor measurements.
- Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-245 388-SET, PC$15.00.
Cleveland Transit System1404 East 9th Street
Cleveland, OH USA 44114
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Hoppe, C F
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 301 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternating current motors; Choppers (Electricity); Cost engineering; Electric power conditioning; Electric vehicles; Electromagnetic interference; Electronic controllers; Expansive clays; Instrumentation; Life cycle analysis; Maintenance; Passenger comfort; Propulsion; Pulse duration modulation; Pulse modulation; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Riding qualities; Solid state devices; Telephone influence factors; Urban transportation; Vehicle power plants
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Identifier Terms: Cleveland Transit System
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental design; Propulsion systems
- Geographic Terms: Ohio
- Old TRIS Terms: Choppers; Influence factors; Pulse modulated control; Pulse time modulation; Rapid transit railways; Solid state controls
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093469
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-OH-06-0006-74-4
- Contract Numbers: UMTA-OH-0006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1981 12:00AM