EVALUATION OF THE WABCO AC PROPULSION SYSTEM. VOLUME 1. CTS/UMTA AC PROPULSION PROJECT
In 1971, the Cleveland Transit System received a grant contract from UMTA to test, demonstrate, and evaluate a WABCO solid state AC propulsion system on three rapid transit cars (Project OH-06-0006). The independent evaluation was performed by Transportation and Environmental Operations, TRW, Inc, Redondo Beach, Calif. This is the final project report. AC Pulse Width Modulation propulsion test data is evaluated to determine whether the advantages claimed for AC PWM propulsion were demonstrated. Retrofit feasibility, AC/DC car compatibility, signal compatibility, and electromagnetic interference are assessed. Factors related to the relatively undeveloped state of the AC system limit the specificity of the results and conclusions relative to their applicability to other transit properties in the future. Chapters present project objectives, project description, summary and conclusions, principal task evaluations, the AC/PWM propulsion system, and ancillary task evaluations. A bibliography is furnished.
- Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-245 388-SET, PC$15.00.
Cleveland Transit System1404 East 9th Street
Cleveland, OH USA 44114
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Hoppe, C F
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 211 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternating current motors; Choppers (Electricity); Cost engineering; Electric power conditioning; Electric vehicles; Electromagnetic interference; Life cycle analysis; Maintenance; Propulsion; Pulse duration modulation; Pulse modulation; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Solid state devices; Urban transportation; Vehicle power plants
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Identifier Terms: Cleveland Transit System
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems
- Geographic Terms: Ohio
- Old TRIS Terms: Choppers; Pulse modulated control; Pulse time modulation; Rapid transit railways; Soild state controls
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093468
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-OH-06-0006-74-3
- Contract Numbers: UMTA-OH-0006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 2003 12:00AM