ANALYSIS OF THE EFFECT OF CONCORDE AIRCRAFT NOISE ON HISTORIC STRUCTURES
Statistical estimates of breakage probabilities from noise-induced vibration were calculated for susceptible structural elements at five historic sites near the proposed subsonic flight path of the Concorde aircraft. The five sites investigated were: Sully Plantation, Chantilly, Va.; Dranesville Tavern, Dranesville, Va.; Broad Run Bridge and Tollhouse, Loudoun County, Va.; Manassas Battlefield Park, Manassas, Va.; and St. George's Church, Hempstead, N. Y. The structural features analyzed included windows, brick chimneys, stone bridge, and a plaster ceiling. The calculated breakage probabilities for these features were generally less than .001 for a year of projected Concorde overflights--considerably below the failure rate that would be expected just from exposure to the weather. The only exception was the probability of breakage of lites of glass at Sully Plantation which were already cracked and are expected to be replaced. The response probability density function technique, used in previous studies of structural response to aircraft noise, was the method of calculation.
Booz-Allen Applied Research, Incorporated4733 Bethesda Avenue
Bethesda, MD USA 20014
- Hershey, R L
- Kevala, R J
- Burns, S L
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft noise; Bridges; Building; Ceilings; Cracking; Environment; Environmental protection; Failure; Flight paths; Glass; Historic sites; History; Jet transports; Loss and damage; Mathematical prediction; Noise; Probability density functions; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Structural members; Subsonic flow; Takeoff; Vibration
- Identifier Terms: Concorde (Supersonic transport)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Damage assessment; Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Windows
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Data and Information Technology; Environment; History; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00093407
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-75-118 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA75WA-3720
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1976 12:00AM